A walk to the Botanic Gardens was organised to engage CHSP (Commonwealth Home Support Program) members in healthy activity while also enjoying the beautiful landscapes of the Botanic Gardens. The Adelaide Botanic Garden is a 51 hectare public garden at the north-east corner of the Adelaide city centre, in the Adelaide Park Lands. It encompasses a fenced garden on North Terrace and behind it the Botanic Park. Work was begun on the site in 1855, with its official opening to the public on 4 October 1857.
The weather was sunny and pleasant on the day. Some of the group took a taxi from the office to the Botanic Gardens whilst others made their own way directly to the Garden. Twenty members participated in the session and were accompanied by Sister Sitiurika and Kamaljit.
Sister Rabia led the walk. The group visited the Lotus Garden, Herb Garden and also the tropical trees garden. The seniors enjoyed the leisure walk as they chatted and caught up with one another and talked about the plants and trees that were found in the tropical garden.
The walk ended near the main gate where everyone sat and rested by the lake and enjoyed sharing their food.
After a short rest, the seniors participated in some knee exercises demonstrated by Sister Rabia. All of the seniors participated in the knee exercises and some have requested for the exercise session to take place before the start of each program.
The visit ended with a group picture to be kept as a reminder of this wonderful outing.